Monday, July 4, 2011

As American As Baseball

Frequently my brain doesn't work like I want it to. Many times, I find fun things to do with the kids or the family, sometimes I even remember to write it on the calender. Then the said event comes and either it's too late to go or participate, or I've plain missed it.

This year, I finally remembered before it was too late to jump in on the fun activity. I got Alex signed up for the Osborn Wildcats Coach-Pitch Team. (Coach pitch means the coach is the pitcher for those that don't hit off a t-stand). I figured it would be a lot of fun for Alex and his high energy level, I mean what better way to get out some energy than to run around some bases? I also thought it would be good for Alex to make some friends before he started kindergarten in the fall.

So May came, I bought him baseball pants, was able to find him a glove that fit him (at a garage sale for 25 cents-I was happy!) and practices began. Alex was really excited about playing baseball....until he had to stand in the outfield....which turned into playing in the dirt with his glove. I must say, on one hand, it is somewhat entertaining to watch a bunch of young, energetic boys, stand in the outfield waiting for their turn to catch or throw a ball. Many sit down, play in the dirt, or watch the birds and clouds overhead, etc. On the other hand, I wanna wring his neck for not paying attention! As Tony and I watched practice, I realized my son knew NOTHING about baseball! Of course, why would he?! We don't watch TV, so he'd never seen a game, and it didn't cross my mind to ever tell him about baseball, after all, I'm not a sports nut, and the only sport Tony is nutty about is racing.

Coach Ferren did a good job of getting the major points across to my little hyper boy. Alex about ran out of excitement for baseball until he got to play his first game. He didn't do very well, but because of the encouragement from his coach, he got excited again. So Tony borrowed a glove from my brother, we bought Alex a bat and ball, and my crafty husband made Alex a T-ball stand, and they practiced in the backyard. That made baseball even more awesome, because it meant one-on-one Daddy time for Alex.

The next few games were not exactly fun for me, as it was hot and I was waaaaay pregnant, and it hurt to sit or stand for very long. A couple games, I stayed home, and some games got cancelled due to weather, but then came the tournament. Alex was pretty blah about it, until we explained that they were special games, and if his team did well they could get a trophy. Suddenly baseball was even better!

So we drove to Clarksdale with new Abigail in tow, and watched Alex play. He was able to hit the ball every time, and make it to first, and with the other hitters behind him, make it to home. We won. It was a fun, suspenseful game to watch, which is not the norm when watching little boys play baseball. So we were on to the next game, set to play the next day....except it got rained out.

A week later, they rescheduled the games. The first rescheduled game, it was sooo hot, that I didn't want to take Abigail or Autumn out in it. So Tony took Alex and Alex's personal cheerleader Anthony to the game. (Anthony gets pretty excited for Alex and shouts encouraging things a lot at him. It's almost as entertaining watching him jump up and down on his little short legs, fists pumping, as he shouts in his cute little Anthony voice.) They won that game!

The next game it was still hot, and a late game, so Tony just took Alex on the motorcycle. This of course is probably more cool to Alex then playing in the game, and he likes the fact that he can fit Mommy's helmet! While Alex was on base, he had to go to the bathroom and couldn't hold it, so they had to call a time-out! (I find this humorous, I mean, can you imagine watching the Royals and them calling a time-out to go pee?!) The umpire was not pleased. Again, they won. Tony said they were all really good games to watch, and he enjoyed watching Alex do so well, since again, he hit every ball and was able to get all the way home. Alex is hitting from a T-stand, but still, you gotta give a 5 yr old a little credit here.

Finally the Saturday was going to be the last day. If they won their first game, then the won the tournament, but if they lost, they played the same team again, right away, and either would end up with 1st or 2nd place, depending if they won or lost that game as well.

It was hot, but I wanted to watch Alex play what could be his last game of the year. It was really sunny, but thankfully there was a decent breeze and some clouds to help out. I was really hoping that they won so we wouldn't be stuck in the sun for 4 hours. Alex hit the ball when he was at bat, all but the last time (I think it's because he wasn't using his bat). During one inning, when Alex was in the outfield, he was watching a big bird (heron, I think) fly over head and a ball rolled behind him. He saw it after it went passed him and tried to get it, but by that time several other teammates were running for it, and he got stuck at the bottom of a dogpile. He cried. It was a good game though, and they ended up winning by 2 points, thank goodness!

Then the medals were given out (one for 1st in the tournament, and one for 3rd in the league since they missed two games), t-shirts that stated they were the champs, and pictures taken with the team trophy. Alex was ready to get out of there, but I was able to get him to pose with the trophy and his bat.

So there you have it. I remembered and was able to get my child involved in something fun, that ended up being fun for all of us. Not to mention Alex now has baseball medals hanging on his wall.... I think I'm more happy about those than he is. :)

2 comments:

  1. I remember Alex teaching Anthony how to cheer for him just before the big game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, that's great! Hooray for Alex! What a cutie. And horray for Tony who went above and beyond for his boy, and major points for you enduring little league hugely preggo. ;)

    ReplyDelete