Saturday, July 23, 2011

Anticipation!

I can not express enough how excited and terrified I am for tomorrow! "What's tomorrow? It's Sunday, people don't do stuff on Sunday,"  might be the train of thought running through your mind. If that's the case, then you probably don't converse with me often, or occasionally read my status updates on that addictive social networking site.

Tomorrow is D-Day. Derby Day. Roller Derby Bout Time! I LOVE roller derby and LOVE bouts!! What's a bout? Eh, some not-so-in-the-know people would call it a game. It's not a game though, it's a bout, and you will get a skate to the face if you call it just a game....
2010 Season

I digress. I have not competed in a bout since last August. That was the last game of our season for 2010, and then during the off season I managed to convince myself it would be a good thing to add another child to our family, and voila, I got pregnant, just like that. Which consequently put me on medical leave of absence. No one wants to hit a pregnant girl. (Well unless said pregnant girl is into lots of drama and man stealing....then I'm sure someone would want to hit her. Thankfully I'm not like said girl.) Plus, even though my OBGYN loves me lots and lots (because I bribe her with Sonic drinks), she mandated I wasn't allowed to do any hitting drills. Oh poo. That takes the fun out it, not to mention it makes it no longer worth the hour drive to practice.

So I avoided derby for a while, cuz nothing sucks more than hanging around something you love when you can't participate. I kinda felt like someone in AA avoiding the bars when all my friends are there. Not fun.

Then I had Abigail in June, and two weeks later got the go ahead from my OB that I could return. Huzzah! Tomorrow I get to skate in the bout! This is where I'm so nervous, and my tummy is filled with butterflies! I'm not ask skinny as I was at the end of last season, and my endurance level is down too. So now, I have some big shoes to fill. Everyone remembers my abilities from last season, and is expecting very similar results, and....I'm terrified I will let them down.

Oh well. Derby isn't about winning. It's about loving it while you get exercise, camaraderie, and the chance to get your anger out without anyone taking it personally. So here's to tomorrow! I'm so dang excited I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight!

1 comment: