Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Roller Derby at It's Finest

So Sunday was my birthday. I turned a big 28. Sunday was also the day Tony got to fly home for a few days to visit before going back east to work, work, work. The most awesome thing about Sunday was it was my very first time in a roller derby game!
Yes I know, not a very sabbath activity for the Sabbath Day, but I rationalized away and participated. I just couldn't resign my team to being short a jammer for their first game ever! Plus, it was on my birthday! What better way to celebrate my own birthday than to do something I'm obsessed with?!
So we started out behind by quite a bit in the first quarter, but by the second quarter we pulled ahead. Finally by the end of the game my team seized a win of 117 to 95! Totally awesome I might add. I did some jamming, some blocking, was even a pivot a couple times, and there of course were several times of getting knocked down and into walls. Tony was on the side-lines watching (hopefully cheering me on) with Alex in tow. Thankfully he didn't ask me to quite after he saw all my spills and slams!
Honestly, the whole game now is a bit of a blur. I scored some points on some jams, dominated points on other jams, and totally didn't even make points a few times too! Boy do I remember how exciting it was, even though I started out really nervous, I loved every minute of it!
For all of you who didn't dare brave the roads due to the nasty weather (which I don't blame any of you, they were pretty nasty!) here are some pictures of me with my new love!

This is me trying to block the other teams jammer.


Coming around trying to score,
but you see that girl in green at the front,
yeah, she took me out!


Taking a cool down minute before getting back out there.


Yes that is me just one second from sandwiching a girl into the wall,
my fellow teammate (the one on the floor) helped take her out,
and yes the girl I sandwiched was the one who took me out earlier.
Revenge is lovely!

Half-time break.

2 comments:

  1. I would have loved doing this many years ago!! How fun!!! And happy belated birthday:) Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say, "looks like some good, clean birthday fun!" but I don't think it was very clean...I bet those derby girls all play dirty! Also, you need some stripey tights!

    ReplyDelete